Monday, March 30, 2020

Who really qualifies for Stimulus?

Since the Krall kids are numbers people, they have been watching the discussions of the Stimulus Package with some interest. On the one hand, the designation for who gets what seems fairly clear. On the other hand, there appears to be a long list of ways people don't qualify, might qualify, might get something more than nothing but not everything, might get it in three weeks, or maybe three months, will get it but probably don't need it, won't get it but definitely do need it -- the possibilities are endless.

In our household, we think Tim and Caroline will get checks without any further action on their part. They have both filed taxes for 2018 and 2019, with direct deposit, and are over 18. While we are fully supporting our college students at home during this time, those checks will replace the income lost by them when they left campus. All of our kids have campus jobs through the Federal Work Study program. Not only did they lose that employment by leaving campus, their jobs in the restaurant industry at home are not exactly begging them to take shifts. So, no income from working, potential stimulus checks, looks like a zero sum game for them.

Sabine qualifies for nothing. She is 17, and while she will file taxes for 2019, with direct deposit, there is nothing she can do about her age. 17 years old is in the no man's land of no stimulus, as the dependent checks only go up to age 16. I'm not precisely sure what message we are sending to the 17 year olds of the country -- you are too old for money, but also too young for money? Is age 17 the year where it costs your parents nothing to support you? Because I have some receipts tucked away in my files that would suggest otherwise . . .

Now for Linnea . . . you knew there had to be an entertaining story ahead involving her, didn't you?

Linnea did not file taxes last year, but was to file for 2019, and is over 18. In fact, as far as we knew, she had already filed, since we heard rumors of when it was on her list of tasks. A couple of days ago, as the stimulus details began to emerge, we had this conversation:

Mom: "Linnea, you filed your 2019 taxes, right?"
Linnea: "NOOOO!! Was I supposed to have done that already? I didn't do it, and you aren't helping me! I don't know what to do!!
Mom: "I thought you said you were going to get Caroline to help you when she visited in February? Or over spring break? I mean, I can answer questions, but we don't help Tim and Caroline do their taxes."
Linnea: "NOOO!! I haven't done it! Is it too late?" (March 26)
Mom: "Of course it's not too late, but you need to get it done, in case you qualify for the stimulus check by doing it. Plus, April 15th is coming up." (I know there is an extension, but really, Linnea can't get it done in the regular timeframe? Of course she can!)
Linnea: "How do I do this? I need help! Can someone help me this weekend?"
Dad: "We'll get Tim and Caroline to help you. You'll use Turbo Tax, it will be easy."
Linnea: "Are you sure it will be easy? Turbo Tax is on the computer? They will help me?"
Mom and Dad: Sigh.

Saturday morning, Linnea has her computer, her tax documents, and the help of both her older siblings. Her parents are in the next room, because, trust me, we did not want to miss this!

Linnea: "Okay, I'm ready. Are you ready? What do I do?"
Tim: "You know you are lucky, you get to use Turbo Tax. The first time I did mine, I used paper forms."
L: "Are paper forms better? Should I do that? How do I find Turbo Tax?"
Caroline: "Google"
L: "Okay, I found it, what do I do now?"
C (feel free to insert an eye roll with any and all statements at any time): "Click start"
L: "Okay, I did that. Now what?"
T: "Read the questions and answer them."
L: "Wait!! It wants my social security number!! I can't type that into the computer, it isn't safe!!"
C: "Well, you can't pay your taxes without putting it in, so . . . "
L: "But what if someone steals my identity? This is bad, this is very bad."
T: "It's going to be fine, type it in."
L: "Okaaayyyyy . . . "

I'll spare you every detail of the personal information section. You can let your imagination run wild. Then we come to the real questions . . .

L (reading out loud): "Are you a veteran? No, right?"
T: "Right"
L: "Are you a citizen? Yes. Did someone else claim you as a dependent? No? Yes? DAD!!!! Have you ever blah, blah, blah, filed under a different name blah, blah blah, committed a crime, blah blah blah, claimed something about something, blah, blah, blah. I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANY OF THIS!!"
C: "You know, if you don't understand the question, the answer is probably no."
L: "Really? Are you sure?"
C: "I'm sure."
L: "Are you blind?"
C: "Did you just read that question?"
L: "Yes"
C: "Then, no. You are not blind."
L: "Phew."

There was much continued angst about entering things like email addresses and bank numbers, because Linnea is sure her identity is about to be stolen. Then, quite a bit of exasperation from her siblings about what constitues a very strong password. And, this . . .

T: "Okay, you've done Federal, now you have to add Minnesota and New York."
L: "WHAT?? I have to do this THREE times?"
T: "Well, no, it is the same thing, just a little extra info for the state return."
L: Sigh.
C: "State is pretty easy, I can help with New York."
L: "Was any of your income earned in Yonkers? Yonkers? What is Yonkers?"
C: "If you don't know what it is, the answer is no. There is something weird about local taxes in Yonkers."
L: "But where is it? And how do you know this? I'll never know everything I need to know about all this stuff!"
C: "You are doing fine."
L: "It's BROKEN! It says I owe 43 dollars!!!"
T: "Yeah, dude."

Finally, the questions in the preparer section . . .

Linnea: "Are you filling this out for Linnea who has died?"
Caroline: "No. But I will be . . ."



2 comments:

  1. If the good laugh this story gave me (sorry Linnea, no offence!) doesn´t protect me from ALL viruses, including of course the Corona, I don´t know what will! "Aunt" Liss

    ReplyDelete