Friday, May 8, 2020

Sometimes, there is an Unnecessary Trip to the Grocery Store

We really do try to limit our grocery store visits. As mentioned before, the biggest challenge here on the daily is having and cooking enough food for six adults. Especially considering that three of these adults are used to college life, where snacks are plentiful and stored in a bin under their beds. And they haven't had to share. Apparently, a box of crackers lasts a lot longer when only one person is eating them!

After dinner the other night, the rumblings began . . .

"Is there any dessert? Didn't we just make brownies today?"
"Please! Those were gone by lunch!"
"I really want ice cream? Do we have any ice cream?"
"Nope. No room in the freezer for ice cream, remember?"
"Right. Boy. I really could use some ice cream."

"Hmm...how late is it? Is the grocery store still open?"
"Not much longer."
"Anyone want to go get ice cream with me?"
"I'll  go with you, but you know we really aren't supposed to . . ."
"I know! I know! But, ice cream!!"
"Well, if we're going, we should get more snacks, not just ice cream."
"Sure! Let's get all the snacks!"

"Mom, we're going to the store. Is there any food money?"
"Why are you going to the store? Do we need something?"
"We want ice cream! And all the snacks!"
"Well, then, no. If you want snacks, you can spend your own money."
"Huh. She says we have to spend our own money."
"Really? Why?"
"Because it is for snacks. And she obviously doesn't think we should go!"
"We shouldn't go. We know that."
"Well, we're going. Let's get it done, here's your mask."
"Fine. But I'm driving. And you're paying!"

"We're back! Here's the ice cream! What flavor do you want? We got chocolate or mint."
"Ooh, mint! What other snacks did you end up getting?"
"Other snacks? Are you crazy? We had to spend our own money!! You're lucky we got two flavors of ice cream!! We certainly didn't buy anything else!"

Shades of the past, when they were responsible for all the grocery shopping. I distinctly remember teens limiting snack purchases during that project because, "I'm not wasting MY grocery money on YOUR snacks!" Have they learned the value of a dollar? My work here might be done!

Probably not. But it's a start.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is amazing how one's priorities change when it your own money. As a child I loved playing the dime slot machine (totally illegal) -- as long as it was my parents' money I was losing. Not enough fun to justify risking my own funds!

    ReplyDelete