Monday, May 4, 2020

Things that Surprise Me

How long a standard bar of soap lasts. Dial bar soap, even with all this hand washing, does not get used up as fast as I thought it would.

How little trash we are generating. It seems like last summer when everyone was home, we constantly had more bags of trash each week then would fit in the trash can. Those of you who live in St. Paul will recognize that too many bags for the can is a big no-no here. So far, we have only had an extra bag one week, and were able to save that to put out the following week with no overflow. It appears that when you cook at home, and never shop for anything else but groceries, that there isn't as much trash. No shopping, no packaging to toss. Who knew?

How reasonably decent Andrew's hair looks without a haircut. Especially considering that he was a week from his next scheduled appointment when everything shut down. He is now at nearly three months since his last cut, and while shaggy around the edges, doesn't look bad at all. The greys are more noticable though . . .

How often someone says something in our house that is also a lyric from Hamilton. And how the statement is always followed by someone, or several someones, singing the next line. Every. Single. Time. Oddly, the second place winner in the accidental lyric contest are songs by Weird Al Yankovic. Which they also sing on cue. Because, we span the range of musical culture in our house.

How I notice the amount of toilet paper on the roll every time I go into either bathroom. We have plenty of toilet paper and even found a large package of our preferred brand last week. Which I bought, because six people live here. But still, I find the toilet paper thing very stressful. On the whole, I believe a person's TP use is a personal deal. As long as the little children never pulled a whole roll off at once and tried to flush it, I figured I could stay out of their toilet paper business. Now, I'm on high alert about TP use all the time. It is both annoying and unnecessary. By the way, somehow, as the mom, I am still the only one who changes the roll. Baffling.

How much useless triva Sabine knows. We have a daily triva calendar, which we answer at dinner every night. Unless it is something completely obscure, she always knows the answer. And she has a good correct answer rate on the obscure ones, too. How does she find out all this stuff, and how is she retaining so much information? After the usual accusations of cheating from her siblings, she'll say something like, "I remember hearing about that in 4th grade . . . at camp . . . when I read . . . in a dream . . on BuzzFeed . . ."

How it is nearly two months since Andrew picked up the college students, but I still wake up every day and feel like we are being pranked. Before I look at any news for the day, I always think that maybe this is all a dream, and we brought our kids home for nothing, and everyone else is laughing at us for being so ridiculous. Then I look at the news, and switch to thinking that the world is ending.

I mean, Murder Hornets? Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment