Tuesday, August 12, 2014

What will happen when they have real jobs?

I'll admit, I have been pretty laid back about the cooking piece of this experiment. They have all done a conscientious job of planning and shopping, but the cooking piece seems to be eluding us. Not that they aren't willing or can't do it; they are all capable of putting together a meal from start to finish.

They just aren't here.

Today, Sabine had to babysit until 4:30. In the meantime, her siblings decided they should all go to a movie at 5:00. So, Sabine flew in the back door and went right out the front to the car.

Whoosh.

"Hey, guys! Do you want the baked potatoes? Guys?"
"Of course! Bake the potatoes! We'll be home after 7. Don't forget the bacon! Bye, Mom!"

Here I am, baking the potatoes. Cooking the bacon. Steaming the broccoli. Grating the cheese.

What will they do when they really are responsible for the planning, the shopping, the preparing and the cooking? And they have real jobs? In no way am I suggesting my kids are lazy or trying to avoid their responsibilities. In fact, between the four of them, they have worked this summer at a variety of things -- babysitting, lawn mowing, umpiring, gardening, cat care -- and they are out at all hours running and roller-skiing.

If I were doing this right, they would have put the crock pot to good use by now. Alas, I have shown willingness to turn on the oven, start the boiling water, grease the pan. But someday, I won't be living with them. I hope. Guess they may have to learn the daily cooking grind lesson then.

They are teens, after all. I really do want them to be able to hop in the car at the last minute and go to a movie. That they are also willing to do it together is a sign I must have done something right!

Right?

1 comment: