Thursday, June 19, 2014

Budget woes

Pasta is Tim's favorite food group, and Alfredo is his go to choice in any restaurant. When I started preparing Alfredo at home, he was in heaven! Homemade Alfredo sauce, grilled chicken, mushrooms, peas and plenty of pasta in a large bowl that passes by his plate at least three times before the meal is finished. It was not surprising to me that it would be in his plan, nor was I surprised that he chose to move it to a different day when his own plans changed.

I did hope he would feed us something, though.

When I asked again on Wednesday morning about dinner, he offered us the option of going to a restaurant, "I'll leave some money for you." Hmmmm . . . Been to a restaurant lately with five people, two of whom have to order gluten free meals? Not cheap. 

Mom: "I think you should count your money."
Tim: "Why? I have a lot left."
Mom: "Count your money."
Tim: "$148."
Mom: "It is your decision, but are you really sure you want to send us to a restaurant? It is only Wednesday, and that $148 has to get you through Sunday."
Tim: "I guess you should probably have the Alfredo, but there will be leftovers, right?"

A little while later . . .

Mom: "Will you be going to the store? We need cream."
Tim: "Sigh."
Mom: "and garlic."
Tim (appalled): "Garlic? We don't have garlic?" (Like a head of garlic is going to break the bank!)
Mom: "Nope, we're out of garlic."
Tim: "Sigh. Please tell me we at least have chicken."
Mom: "I think so, check the freezer."
Tim: "This looks like fish!"
Mom: "That's because it is fish."
Tim: "I need chicken."
Mom: "Look again."
Tim: "Sigh."

Off to the store again! On Monday, he thought going to the store every day for what he needed would be great. Very European and not a terrible idea, but not exactly ideal, either. By Wednesday, going to the store every day had lost its appeal. To make things worse, apparently he prefers to drive one car over the other and I heard, "I have to take that car?"  Like one is a clunker and one is a Porsche or something! You know, kid, you could be walking . . .

And the Alfredo? Delicious, but no leftovers. Sorry, Tim!

No comments:

Post a Comment