Friday, June 20, 2014

I just realized I have no control

I had a moment a few days ago when I realized that I will not be deciding what we have for dinner for the next eight weeks (nine, if you figure I'm not in charge on vacation, either). Sounds great, right? Turns out to be rather terrifying.

If I am not deciding the meal, we might not have a vegetable. Or a salad. Or fruit.

I like vegetables. And salad. And fruit.

I feel better when I eat from all the food groups, not just carbs and protein. But I no longer control the money, and while I can make requests, if I'm not at the store I have no control over what comes home.

Gulp.

Tim looked out at the garden the other day, and commented (with a bit of disgust) that "this garden isn't doing me any good yet, I can't use anything for an actual meal!" It is Minnesota, after all, we can't expect June miracles in our short growing season. Right now, I am feeling his pain! This garden isn't doing me any good, I can't run out and pick some veg and turn it into lunch!

I do realize that as a parent, I could put my foot down and demand that we have fruit available, and vegetables with every dinner, but that creates a problem. This project isn't about me, it is about them. It isn't about perfection in week one, or even by the end of the summer. It is about making choices, making mistakes and learning some skills. I have to let them go and hope for the best.

Letting go. That's a skill worth mastering for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment