Saturday, June 21, 2014

Lobster taste on a Ramen Noodle budget

Caroline has sensibly begun her planning for next week, and she is going to need some backup plans! So far, she has put salmon with bacon on the menu, along with shrimp and cheeseburgers -- also with bacon. She loves bacon, but I don't think she realizes how expensive it is!

I did discover a BOGO sale on salmon that goes through Wednesday, but suggested she might want to go with salmon or shrimp, not both. "But, Mom, I love salmon and shrimp!" Choices will have to be made, or we are going to be left with cereal for dinner by Friday.

I appreciate her willingness to plan, as Tim chose not to do much of that and ended up doing lots of complaining by the end of the week. However, Caroline's plan seems to involve serving every meal she loves that we don't make very often. She doesn't seem to realize that there are reasons we don't make these dinners often -- expensive ingredients, complicated recipes, lots of prep time. Giving up control to Caroline may result in way too much cooking stress to make it worth it!

Another problem I see with Caroline's plan is a large number of bread products. We eat gluten free here and while I make fabulous GF bread, my current method involves a refrigerator rise of 2-5 days. There is no last minute throwing together some rolls here! It also involves, well, work. Probably for me.

I know for sure that we will be having French Toast one night. Breakfast for dinner is a family favorite, and if someone else is planning and shopping, I can probably bring myself to stand over the griddle for awhile. Naturally, there will be bacon!

2 comments: