Wednesday, April 15, 2020

I can't believe this finally happened

According to my Facebook history, it wasn't until January 28, 2014, that I purchased any toy guns for my children. It happened then because of our week long break from school for cold temperatures, when I had to get them outside doing something resembling anything. Since I also managed to avoid purchasing cellphones for them until they each turned 15, it should surprise no one that we have never owned a video game system. In fact, the closest thing they ever had was each owning one Webkin, and playing some games on the computer using those.

As of last Friday, we own a Nintendo Switch.

I cannot believe this. And it is all Andrew's fault. In fact, he should be writing this! Even the children, bless their hearts, don't think it was necessary -- although they are enjoying using it.

"Alright, what four colors of controllers should we get?"
"It comes with blue and red."
"Red? Red isn't an assigned color for anyone in this family!"
"Well, that's what it comes with! We can choose the other two."
"Pink and green? Purple and yellow?"
"Yellow? Who would want yellow?
"Grammy?" (Grammy never met a yellow she didn't like)
"Grammy is NOT going to be playing Nintendo with us!"
"Purple!! I want purple!"
"Yeah, but no one wants yellow, pink and green make more sense."
"I hate pink."
"Okay, so pink and green it is."
"Grrr."

"Mom, you have to make a profile."
"Why? I doubt I'm going to be playing this much."
"Because you HAVE to!"
"I really don't think I'm going to be playing this . . ."
"Oh come on, you will totally be playing!"
"Uh huh. Right."

"Time for Just Dance! All four of us at once!"
"People, attach your safety straps!!"
"Move the couch. Is there enough room for all of us?"
"No, but who can we leave out? Make it work, it will be fine."
"Okay, but I don't have enough space!"

In our tiny basement family room, about eight feet square . . .

"How did Sabine get the high score again?"
"Because she keeps whacking me! I would totally win if she would stop whacking me!"

"Linnea, what are you doing? That is NOT the move!"
"How is Linnea just flailing around and still getting a perfect?"

"What? Tim won?? How is that possible? He can't dance!"
"You know, Tim just got an A in his semster of dance in college."
"He did? How?"

"Dad wants to try? Oh, boy . . ."
"Dad!! Use the safety strap!! What are you doing? No, you can't have the controller in your left hand, we set it up for right hand!"
"I'm left-handed."
"Whatever. Too bad."

"You know, I'm a good dancer. I still say I would win if Sabine would stop whacking me."
"Who says you're a good dancer?"
"I am! I've got moves with my hips!"
"Your hips? What hips? You are a literal popsicle stick!"
"Hey!!"

"Um, guys? It's 11:30. You know, that's my bed over there. That I'm not sleeping in."
"It's 11:30? How did that happen? Sorry, Mom."
"Yeah, sorry, Mom! So, one more song?"
"One more? But I still get to pick one more, too! So, two more!!"
"It's late, Mom wants to go to bed!!"
"Yeah, yeah, yeah, so two more, then."

Guess they like it.

2 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying this blog and the window into your fabulous family. Caroline misses Sabine, but I keep her entertained with your goings-on through this blog. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom needs her sleep. This is a huge happening for the Krall’s!

    ReplyDelete