Tuesday, April 7, 2020

I thought we were done with all this

We are not homeschooling. Forget the fact that three of the kids are in college, and are responsible for themselves, I am not the right personality for homeschooling. I didn't like teaching school when I got paid to do it, I certainly don't want to do it now. I was never the homework helper mom, even when they were young. After all, if you are in 4th grade this year, don't you still remember 3rd grade math from last year? You can help the current 3rd grader with any questions. This is why I have four children!

Where we do excel is providing the tools and structure that helps people succeed. Everyone has a desk space, we are managing the power cords and the internet access. Do you need a printer that has both paper and ink? We've got you covered! A calculator, ACT prep book, science fair tri-fold board? All available as needed throughout all the schooling years. Even as they headed off to college, a simple text question would get them information, or something ordered on Amazon, or a phone call to talk through a new adulting task.

They are all doing a great job managing their own educations right now. Although, to be fair, Sabine is really just getting started, she could potentially need more guidance structure encouragement bossing around than the rest of them. I have high hopes, though, especially now that the IB Diploma testing has been canceled.

Mom -- "Hey, Sabine, looks like they have canceled IB testing."
Sabine -- "This is the best day of my life."

So, why do I feel like a slacker right now? And like I should be more engaged and involved? There are articles galore about homeschooling, and structure, and families setting up a Zoom meeting for the three and five year olds. And pictures of coloring desks, and iPads, and nature walks, and seed starters. If I have never done these things, why do I feel pressure to suddenly do them now?

Of course, I have actually been doing these things all along. Haven't we all? Wasn't the grocery shopping summer a homeschooling activity? And their ability to do laundry, and clean a bathroom, and weed the garden, and set up and run their own 3-day garage sale? They all know how to swim. And sing. And spell (well, maybe not Caroline...). And drive a car. And talk to grown-ups. And cook, laugh, read, love. We are all going to be fine. They are going to be fine. You are going to be fine.

And I might even help out a little more than I did when they were younger, since we are all adapting to a new normal.  After all, I never expected to have this conversation:

Tim -- "Looks like I have to do a video of my monologue."
Mom -- "That sounds interesting, do you need help with that?"
Tim -- "Well . . . I'm supposed to have some suggestion of a costume . . ."
Mom -- "Really? You? Who stopped dressing up for Halloween when you were eight?"
Tim -- "I know, right?"
Mom -- "So what do you have to dress up as?"
Tim -- "A woman, from 1934."

Huh. Didn't see that coming.

2 comments:

  1. Does Tim need to borrow my white wool winter hat? -- It's more 20's than 30's perhaps, but might pass. Will that monologue be available on You Tube?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about YouTube! I think it is the suggestion of a costume, I'm trying not to be too nosy, but a scarf may be involved. That hat could be good, though!

      Delete