Thursday, July 17, 2014

In which Tim learns another lesson

The initial idea was that in the first week, the child in charge would plan the dinners, budget and shop, and assist in the cooking but only be fully responsible for preparing one dinner. In the second week, all dinner preparation was to be facilitated by the shopper, with assistance from others if requested.

Unfortunately, Tim's second week fell during MLB All Star Weekend and he had been given tickets to attend all the events as his 16th birthday gift. That meant he missed dinners on Monday and Tuesday and wasn't here to cook anything. Being as I am not an ogre, I simply took the plan he laid out and we cooked without him. I contemplated having him use the crock pot, but that seems like a winter comfort food tool that lacks appeal in mid-July.

We were out for dinner on Wednesday as well, at a work function for Andrew, so tonight was the first evening where Tim had to cook dinner himself. The menu was straightforward, beef and bean nachos; easy to prepare and a favorite of everyone -- probably why he put it on the menu.

All the ingredients were procured, instructions given for the recipe, and the time determined to serve the meal. Time headed off to the kitchen with plenty of time to prepare dinner.

And then . . . Tim returned to the living room, looking pathetic . . .

Mom: "What's the matter?"
Tim: "How am I supposed to cook in there?"
Mom: "Because . . ."
Tim: " It's a mess!"
Mom: "Right. You guys don't clean up."
Tim: "But I can't cook in a mess!"
Mom: "I feel like this is something I say every night!"

Remember how the job of feeding the family is overwhelming, annoying and time consuming? Here is yet another reason! Our kitchen is small (fabulously remodeled last year, but still small) and this year, I have not assigned dish duty to one child per week as I have done in past summers. So, if no one is responsible, then no one is responsible. I have been observing how they don't put dishes in the dishwasher or throw away trash. Now, suddenly, Tim is noticing that part of being able to provide a meal is having a clean space in which to prepare it.

I don't know what will happen now. Will he do better himself throughout the day? Will he nag his sisters? Will he help them out with kitchen clean up when it is their turn? I know that if my kitchen were pristine every night when it was time to cook, it would make the job ever so much easier. Tim seems to be learning that quickly as well.

Nagging hasn't worked for me so far, but maybe he should give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment